Barton Community College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges (230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604, (800) 621-7440, www.NCACIHE.org). Also, Barton Community College is accredited under the provisions of the Kansas Community Junior College Act of 1965 and is a member of the American Association of Community Colleges as well as the Council of North Central Junior Colleges. You can also access Barton's accreditation documents and the Mission and Vision statements. See below for Barton's State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) information.
The Open Pathway: HLC Pathways for Reaffirmation of Accreditation
The Open Pathway seeks to achieve the following goals.
- To enhance institutional value by opening the improvement aspect of accreditation so that institutions may choose Quality Initiatives to suit their current circumstances
- To reduce the reporting burden on institutions by utilizing as much information and data as possible from existing institutional processes and collecting them in electronic form as they naturally occur over time
- To enhance rigor by checking institutional data annually (Institutional Update) and conducting Assurance Reviews twice in the ten-year cycle
- To integrate as much as possible all HLC processes and HLC requests for data into the reaffirmation of accreditation cycle.
Assurance and Improvement in the Open Pathway
The Open Pathway separates the continued accreditation process into two components: the Assurance Review and the Quality Initiative.
- Two Assurance Reviews take place in the ten-year cycle; one in Year 4 and one in Year 10. The Year 4 review occurs asynchronously via the Commission’s online Assurance System and without a visit. The Year 10 review is also conducted with the Assurance System but includes a visit to the campus, as noted below. No change requests may be combined with the Year 4 review; all change requests at Year 4 are evaluated separately through the Commission’s change process.
- Between Years 5 and 9 of the ten-year cycle, the institution proposes and completes a Quality Initiative. The Assurance Reviews free the Quality Initiative to focus on institutional innovation and improvement. The institution undertakes a Quality Initiative as something it elects to suit its own purposes. Its timeframe is flexible to accommodate the amount of time necessary to complete or make substantial progress toward completion.
- In Year 10, the institution undergoes a comprehensive evaluation.
Check back regularly for updates.
1. Institutional Update - Completed
2, Assurance Review due June, 2017
3. Quality Initiative (Academy of Student Learning) due September, 2019
Institutional Update Team – Caicey Crutcher, Mark Dean, Myrna Perkins
Assurance Review Timeline
Fall 2013 begin contribution to Evidence File and Assurance Argument
Evidence File and Assurance Argument Team – Team is still forming currently: Randy Thode, Caicey Crutcher, Charles Perkins, Cathie Oshiro, Mark Dean, Amye Schneider, Dr. Carl Heilman, Brandon Steinert, Julie Knoblich, Elaine Simmons (Acting Vice President), Ange Sullivan, Jenna Wornkey, Brenda Moreno
June 1, 2017 Lock File and Submission
Quality Initiative Timeline
Spring 2015 (Now) - Application for Academy of Student Learning – Charles Perkins, Caicey Crutcher, Jo Harrington, Ange Sullivan, Cathie Oshiro, Elaine Simmons (Acting Vice President), Dr. Carl Heilman, Brenda Moreno, Vic Martin
Focus: Measures, Tools, and Performance Criteria
Identifying and/or developing effective measures, tools, instruments, and approaches–as well as performance standards–to gather meaningful and effective data.
April 28, 2015 - Information and Planning Workshop – 2 or 3 Assessment Decision Makers (Charles Perkins, Dr. Carl Heilman, Elaine Simmons (Acting Vice President), Randy Thode, Brenda Moreno, Jo Harrington, Ange Sullivan, Caicey Crutcher) - Completed
June 3-5, 2015 Academy Roundtable (Randy Thode, Ange Sullivan, Jo Harrington, Vic Martin) Cost listed in Year One
|Starts Fall 2015
Starts Fall 2016
Starts Fall 2017
Starts Fall 2018
|Ends Fall 2016
Ends Fall 2017
Ends Fall 2018
Ends Fall 2019
Eligible Programs and Locations
Barton Community College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and has been approved by the Department of Education (ED) to participate in Title IV federal funding. All programs and locations must be reported to and/or the HLC and the Department of Education.
View Barton’s accreditation profile with the Higher Learning Commission.
View the status of Barton’s programs and locations with HLC and the Department of Education.
Open Pathways Contact Information
Click on the underlined names below to send an email to the Open Pathways contact.
Open Pathways Liaison
Open Pathways Institutional Leader
Elaine Simmons (Acting Vice President)
Statement of Affiliation Status
Learn more about the applicable definitions.
Chief Executive Officer: Dr. Carl Heilman, President
Name change notes: Barton County Community Junior College to Barton County Community College to Barton Community College
HLC Institution ID: 1267
Current Accreditation Status: Accredited
Candidacy Date(s): 03/31/1971 - 07/24/1974
Pre-accreditation notes: Pre-accreditation status: Federal Fund Eligibility Approval (1966)
Recognized Candidate for Accreditation (1971)
Candidate for Accreditation under new policy (1973)
Accreditation Date(s): 07/25/1974
Summary of Commission Review
Last Reaffirmation of Accreditation: 2012 - 2013
Next Reaffirmation of Accreditation: 2022 - 2023
Last Date of Information Change: 12/02/2013
Degrees Awarded (details below): Certificate, Associates
Barton Community College is a participant in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) initiative. SARA is a state-level reciprocity process aimed at making the effort to obtain state authorizations more efficient for institutions and to make it easier for students to enroll in distance education programs outside of the states in which they reside. Visit the BARTonline State Authorization webpage for more information.